brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Carrasco <jo...@lcc.uma.es>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code - PaaS services addition proposal
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2016 17:17:53 GMT
Hi all,

Thanks Andrea for your report. As student I can say you are doing a great job as mentor, I
am learning a lot about software architectures, patterns, and another principles to develop
maintainable and testable code. I really appreciate that you spend a bit of time every day
to direct me in the right direction.

During this time we decided to model a PaasLocation in Brooklyn and to target initially CF.
Then we focus on understanding the CF features and the CF manifest which to model what I ended
up calling VanillaCloudFoundryApplication, which models a CF manifest and it is startable
on a PaasLocation. It was necessary a lot of iterations to get the current architecture. First,
it was decided how the Cloud Foundry services had to be managed by the location (through a
client), we spend quite time chatting and developing examples time reach an extensible and
useful and testable architecture. Once the first prototype was ready, Andrea suggested to
introduce the driver pattern, allowing the entity to delegate the location management to an
driver, what it looks interesting in order to generalize our solution. Currently, we are updating
the Cloud Foundry client that we are using to manage the Cloud Foundry services, in order
to obtain a more maintainable code. Once this task will be ready, I will explore how to generalize
this approach to support more platforms without refactoring too much the current solution.

Of course you can obtain a track and more concrete information about each of our task in our
trello [1] board. A lot of aforementioned decisions can be also tracked following the open
PR in [2].

Best,
Jose

[1]: https://trello.com/b/ZFfueDsu/gsoc2016
[2]: https://github.com/kiuby88/brooklyn-cloudfoundry

El 05/08/2016, a las 17:38, Andrea Turli <andrea.turli@cloudsoftcorp.com> escribió:

> [...]
>> to develop the proposal that I update to Google Summer of Code,
>> participate in the community,
>> develop the documentation, etc. (as Andrea has mentioned) but It will give
>> me great pleasure to
>> collaborate in different tasks, and functionality developments :-)
>>
>> Just a pair of questions about the proposal. I have a pair of ideas about
>> how PaaS entities could be added to
>> Brooklyn (in fact, I tried a pair of PRs) . The proposal that I wrote a
>> little description about that in the proposal
>> that I wrote, but I should develop some diagrams about necessary entities,
>> locations and how it has to be added
>> to Brooklyn, then what should I do? should I write a Google Docs? should I
>> open a PR directly? I would prefer to
>> write a little document before coding. What do you think?
>>
>> I was a little contributor in a different open project, brooklyn-tosca. I
>> tried different examples in order to find new
>> possible functionalities there, but I was not actively involved either in
>> the community chat or in the Mailing List.
>> I do not want to be a spammer. Probably my routine should be different for
>> GSoC, I should ask more questions
>> about new functionalities and how they should be implemented before
>> coding. Does the community use gitter?
>>
>> In other words, I am still a novice here and I have much to learn. Hence,
>> I will  appreciate any advice and suggestion
>> in order to improve my participation in the project.
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>> Best,
>> Jose
>>

>> El 02/05/2016, a las 11:36, Andrea Turli <andrea.turli@cloudsoftcorp.com>
>> escribió:
>>
>>> Hi Jose,
>>>
>>> We are now in the "Community Bonding Period (April 22 - May 22)". The
>>> Community Bonding period is intended to get students ready to start
>>> contributing to your organization full time in May.
>>>
>>> We encourage you to try to become familiar with the community practices
>> and
>>> processes: participate on Mailing Lists / IRC and ask questions!
>>> Set up their development environment: following
>>> https://brooklyn.apache.org/v/latest/dev/index.html
>>> Try to participate in code reviews for others. There is a documentation
>> PR
>>> open right now [1] or a small PR on brooklyn-server [2] you may want to
>>> test to report your feedback or [3] in brooklyn-libray.
>>>
>>> Ideally code review should become part of your daily routine, but of
>>> course, reading (and updating!) documentation and contributing to mailing
>>> list / IRC will be appreciated as well.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Andrea
>>>
>>> [1]: https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-docs/pull/49
>>> [2]: https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-server/pull/127
>>> [3]: https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-library/pull/32

>> community

>> am

>> organization/5694656234913792/proposal/6531111119224832/

I'd say
>> that

>> and
>> down-rated.

> [...]