brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Carrasco <jo...@lcc.uma.es>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code - PaaS services addition proposal
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2016 14:38:47 GMT
Hi all again,

Andrea and me are integrating Cloud Foundry services according to our last proposal description
(below).

An entity has beed developed which represents generic Cloud Foundry services and a more complex

entity is focuses on MySql Cloud Foundry service (VanillaCloudFoundryApplication).

VanillaCloudFoundryApplication allows create an instance of a available MySql service
in the Cloud Foundry Platform, as you can see in the next blueprint.

name: Vanilla CloudFoundry example
location: pivotal-ws
services:
- type: org.apache.brooklyn.cloudfoundry.entity.VanillaCloudFoundryApplication
  id: vanilla-app
  brooklyn.config:
    path: classpath://brooklyn-example-hello-world-sql-webapp-in-paas.war
    buildpack: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/java-buildpack.git
    services:
    - $brooklyn:component("db”)
    env:
      brooklyn.example.db.url: $brooklyn:component("db").attributeWhenReady("service.mysql.jdbc")

- type: org.apache.brooklyn.cloudfoundry.entity.service.mysql.CloudFoundryMySqlService
  id: db
  brooklyn.config:
    serviceName: cleardb
    instanceName: my-cleardb-instance
    plan: spark
    creationScriptTemplateUrl: classpath://chat-database.sql

You can see that CloudFoundryMySqlService creates an instance of a available mysql service
(in this case cleardb),
initializes the database using a script.sql and and provides a jdbc database address through
a sensor (service.mysql.jdbc).

It allows services to be created by an blueprint together with the application (which is not
supported currently
by Cloud Foundry Manifest). Moreover, it is in charge of initializing the database (whether
may be useful for users).

So, we have a first working implementation of our proposal. Some unit and live test have been
developed and it
looks that we are taking a step in the right direction.

With the help of Andrea (thanks a lot for that)  I was able to solve some questions about
the services data management,
we would like to know your opinion about some decisions that we are still considering, but
let me stop here and share our
questions in a different email, in order to avoid a long and unreadable mail.

Thanks a lot.
Best,
Jose

El 08/08/2016, a las 14:52, Jose Carrasco <josec@lcc.uma.es> escribió:

> [...]
>    path: classpath://brooklyn-example-hello-world-sql-webapp-in-paas.war
>    buildpack: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/java-buildpack.git
>    domain: domain
>    host: application-host
>
> You can find more examples in [1]. Currently, we are thinking about supporting
> Cloud Foundry service. Documentation [2] says that an existent service can be
> bound to an application. Then, it looks interesting to use a new entity to instantiate

> a service, allowing users to create services and bind them to an application
> from a blueprint.
>
> Following, you can find blueprint which shows my proposal to manage a service.
>
> name: CloudFoundryPaasLocation configuration example
> location: pivotal-ws
> services:
> - type: org.apache.brooklyn.cloudfoundry.entity.VanillaCloudFoundryApplication
>  id: vanilla-app
>  brooklyn.config:
>    name-app: name
>    path: classpath://brooklyn-example-hello-world-sql-webapp-in-paas.war
>    buildpack: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/java-buildpack.git
>    domain: domain
>    host: application-host
>    bind:
>    - instance_name
>
> - type: org.apache.brooklyn.cloudfoundry.entity.servies.MySqlService
>  brooklyn.config:
>    service-type: available_service #which was added to the platform by a broker
>    instance-name: instance_name #used to bind the instance
>    plan: plan_to_use #offers varying levels of resources or features for the same service
>    creationScriptUrl: script.sql #script to init the database
>
> MySqlService is an entity which allows to create an instance of any mysql service.
> Then,  Actually, all the services are created following the same method, a service
> requires the service-type, the instance-name and the plan to be created, then it is
> possible to create any service using a generic entity. However, it looks interesting

> to create a entity for manage MySql services, because it will allow concrete operations

> to be carried out, for example, it allows the database, which is created by the service,

> to be initialized using a script.sql.
> Currently, users have to initialize the database manually after creating the service,

> so this proposal would facilitate the management of the Cloud Foundry services.
>
> Does it make sense for you? I will appreciate any advice and suggestion in order
> to improve this idea.
>
> Best,
> Jose
>
> [1] https://github.com/kiuby88/brooklyn-cloudfoundry/tree/48c7710f8228acf548ea54469da403ff98dc84a8/src/test/resources
> [2] https://docs.cloudfoundry.org/devguide/services/application-binding.html#bind
>
> El 05/08/2016, a las 19:17, Jose Carrasco <josec@lcc.uma.es> escribió:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thanks Andrea for your report. As student I can say you are doing a great job as
mentor, I am learning a lot about software architectures, patterns, and another principles
to develop maintainable and testable code. I really appreciate that you spend a bit of time
every day to direct me in the right direction.

>> During this time we decided to model a PaasLocation in Brooklyn and to target initially
CF. Then we focus on understanding the CF features and the CF manifest which to model what
I ended up calling VanillaCloudFoundryApplication, which models a CF manifest and it is startable
on a PaasLocation. It was necessary a lot of iterations to get the current architecture. First,
it was decided how the Cloud Foundry services had to be managed by the location (through a
client), we spend quite time chatting and developing examples time reach an extensible and
useful and testable architecture. Once the first prototype was ready, Andrea suggested to
introduce the driver pattern, allowing the entity to delegate the location management to an
driver, what it looks interesting in order to generalize our solution. Currently, we are updating
the Cloud Foundry client that we are using to manage the Cloud Foundry services, in order
to obtain a more maintainable code. Once this task will be ready, I will explore how to generalize
this approach to support more platforms without refactoring too much the current solution.

>> Of course you can obtain a track and more concrete information about each of our
task in our trello [1] board. A lot of aforementioned decisions can be also tracked following
the open PR in [2].

>> Best,
>> Jose
>>
>> [1]: https://trello.com/b/ZFfueDsu/gsoc2016
>> [2]: https://github.com/kiuby88/brooklyn-cloudfoundry
>>
>> El 05/08/2016, a las 17:38, Andrea Turli <andrea.turli@cloudsoftcorp.com> escribió:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> as GSoC mentor of [1] I'm happy to say that Jose is doing very well and
>>> he's keeping up a great job on adding PaaS support to Brooklyn
>>>
>>> Jose Carrasco is being very active and productive during this period. He is
>>> collecting his ideas and documenting his work in this folder [1]. He's been
>>> quite active on IRC but we have also 1:1 conversations that he's keen to
>>> summarize focusing with the design and the main technical decisions taken
>>> along the way.
>>> There is also Trello board [2] that we have reviewed with some of the
>>> Brooklyn committers (Aled, Alex and Robert) Currently the code produced for
>>> this project is available at [3] but it will be moved to an apache soon.
>>>
>>> If you are interested please let us know your thoughts/comments,
>>>
>>> Sorry for the belated update,
>>> Andrea and Jose
>>>
>>> [1]: https://drive.google.com/a/cloudsoftcorp.com/folderview?id=0BxP_
>>> HXE8tVoFazF4cUV0LXpYSTg&usp=sharing#

> [...]
> [...]