brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Carrasco <jo...@lcc.uma.es>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code - PaaS services addition proposal
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2016 12:52:33 GMT
Hi all,

as we mentioned previously, we have a pretty entity which allows an
application to be deployed on a Cloud Foundry platform by using a
new paas location, CloudFoundryPaasLocation.

Here you can find a simple blueprint which shows the entity usage:

name: CloudFoundryPaasLocation configuration example
location: pivotal-ws
services:
- type: org.apache.brooklyn.cloudfoundry.entity.VanillaCloudFoundryApplication
  id: vanilla-app
  brooklyn.config:
    name-app: name
    path: classpath://brooklyn-example-hello-world-sql-webapp-in-paas.war
    buildpack: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/java-buildpack.git
    domain: domain
    host: application-host

You can find more examples in [1]. Currently, we are thinking about supporting
Cloud Foundry service. Documentation [2] says that an existent service can be
bound to an application. Then, it looks interesting to use a new entity to instantiate
a service, allowing users to create services and bind them to an application
from a blueprint.

Following, you can find blueprint which shows my proposal to manage a service.

name: CloudFoundryPaasLocation configuration example
location: pivotal-ws
services:
- type: org.apache.brooklyn.cloudfoundry.entity.VanillaCloudFoundryApplication
  id: vanilla-app
  brooklyn.config:
    name-app: name
    path: classpath://brooklyn-example-hello-world-sql-webapp-in-paas.war
    buildpack: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/java-buildpack.git
    domain: domain
    host: application-host
    bind:
    - instance_name

- type: org.apache.brooklyn.cloudfoundry.entity.servies.MySqlService
  brooklyn.config:
    service-type: available_service #which was added to the platform by a broker
    instance-name: instance_name #used to bind the instance
    plan: plan_to_use #offers varying levels of resources or features for the same service
    creationScriptUrl: script.sql #script to init the database

MySqlService is an entity which allows to create an instance of any mysql service.
Then,  Actually, all the services are created following the same method, a service
requires the service-type, the instance-name and the plan to be created, then it is
possible to create any service using a generic entity. However, it looks interesting
to create a entity for manage MySql services, because it will allow concrete operations
to be carried out, for example, it allows the database, which is created by the service,
to be initialized using a script.sql.
Currently, users have to initialize the database manually after creating the service,
so this proposal would facilitate the management of the Cloud Foundry services.

Does it make sense for you? I will appreciate any advice and suggestion in order
to improve this idea.

Best,
Jose

[1] https://github.com/kiuby88/brooklyn-cloudfoundry/tree/48c7710f8228acf548ea54469da403ff98dc84a8/src/test/resources
[2] https://docs.cloudfoundry.org/devguide/services/application-binding.html#bind

El 05/08/2016, a las 19:17, Jose Carrasco <josec@lcc.uma.es> escribió:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks Andrea for your report. As student I can say you are doing a great job as mentor,
I am learning a lot about software architectures, patterns, and another principles to develop
maintainable and testable code. I really appreciate that you spend a bit of time every day
to direct me in the right direction.

> During this time we decided to model a PaasLocation in Brooklyn and to target initially
CF. Then we focus on understanding the CF features and the CF manifest which to model what
I ended up calling VanillaCloudFoundryApplication, which models a CF manifest and it is startable
on a PaasLocation. It was necessary a lot of iterations to get the current architecture. First,
it was decided how the Cloud Foundry services had to be managed by the location (through a
client), we spend quite time chatting and developing examples time reach an extensible and
useful and testable architecture. Once the first prototype was ready, Andrea suggested to
introduce the driver pattern, allowing the entity to delegate the location management to an
driver, what it looks interesting in order to generalize our solution. Currently, we are updating
the Cloud Foundry client that we are using to manage the Cloud Foundry services, in order
to obtain a more maintainable code. Once this task will be ready, I will explore how to generalize
this approach to support more platforms without refactoring too much the current solution.

> Of course you can obtain a track and more concrete information about each of our task
in our trello [1] board. A lot of aforementioned decisions can be also tracked following the
open PR in [2].

> [...]
>> he's keeping up a great job on adding PaaS support to Brooklyn
>>
>> Jose Carrasco is being very active and productive during this period. He is
>> collecting his ideas and documenting his work in this folder [1]. He's been
>> quite active on IRC but we have also 1:1 conversations that he's keen to
>> summarize focusing with the design and the main technical decisions taken
>> along the way.
>> There is also Trello board [2] that we have reviewed with some of the
>> Brooklyn committers (Aled, Alex and Robert) Currently the code produced for
>> this project is available at [3] but it will be moved to an apache soon.
>>
>> If you are interested please let us know your thoughts/comments,
>>
>> Sorry for the belated update,
>> Andrea and Jose
>>
>> [1]: https://drive.google.com/a/cloudsoftcorp.com/folderview?id=0BxP_
>> HXE8tVoFazF4cUV0LXpYSTg&usp=sharing#
>> [2]: https://trello.com/b/ZFfueDsu/gsoc2016
>> [3]: https://github.com/kiuby88/brooklyn-cloudfoundry
>>

>> On 2 May 2016 at 13:00, Jose Carrasco <josec@lcc.uma.es> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Andrea and all,
>>>
>>> Thanks for that. I will try to review and to make some contributions to
>>> the mentioned PRs. I have
>>> to develop the proposal that I update to Google Summer of Code,
>>> participate in the community,
>>> develop the documentation, etc. (as Andrea has mentioned) but It will give
>>> me great pleasure to
>>> collaborate in different tasks, and functionality developments :-)
>>>
>>> Just a pair of questions about the proposal. I have a pair of ideas about
>>> how PaaS entities could be added to
>>> Brooklyn (in fact, I tried a pair of PRs) . The proposal that I wrote a
>>> little description about that in the proposal
>>> that I wrote, but I should develop some diagrams about necessary entities,
>>> locations and how it has to be added
>>> to Brooklyn, then what should I do? should I write a Google Docs? should I
>>> open a PR directly? I would prefer to
>>> write a little document before coding. What do you think?
>>>
>>> I was a little contributor in a different open project, brooklyn-tosca. I
>>> tried different examples in order to find new
>>> possible functionalities there, but I was not actively involved either in
>>> the community chat or in the Mailing List.
>>> I do not want to be a spammer. Probably my routine should be different for
>>> GSoC, I should ask more questions
>>> about new functionalities and how they should be implemented before
>>> coding. Does the community use gitter?
>>>
>>> In other words, I am still a novice here and I have much to learn. Hence,
>>> I will  appreciate any advice and suggestion
>>> in order to improve my participation in the project.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot.
>>> Best,
>>> Jose

>>> and
>>> PR

>>> community

>>> am

>>> organization/5694656234913792/proposal/6531111119224832/

I'd say
>>> that

>>> and
slots to request.

> [...]
> [...]