brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Aled Sage <aled.s...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] merging config keys
Date Wed, 25 May 2016 20:28:16 GMT
Alex, all,

I wondered about (1) as well. I concluded that we should optimise for
what I believe is the most common case for these config keys: being able
to add additional values and override specific values. For example, if
someone defines a Tomcat entity with default environment variables, then
I want to be able to add to those and override specific values easily.

The alternative approach you mentioned (below) is technically elegant,
but feels overly complicated YAML for the common case.

     shell.env:
       $brooklyn:merge:
       - overridden_key: value
         new_key: value

If folk agree that the common case to optimise for is the "merge" for
config keys like shell.env, then we could limit the less-obvious
approach for the overwrite use-case:

     shell.env:
       $brooklyn:overwrite:
       - new_key1: value
         new_key2: value

/(As an aside, at some point I'd like to completely revisit shell.env:
we should better support supplying different environment variables to
each of the install/launch/checkRunning scripts.)/

---
For (2), I lean towards treating templateOptions (within
provisioningProperties) as a special case. Really we need a major
overhaul of our JcloudsLocation code.

My long-term ideal would be that we don't need to put those key-values
within a templateOptions sub-map. That is really a consequence of our
implementation.

I think merging of templateOptions is the behaviour that a user
(unfamiliar with the underlying implementation) would expect. Until one
explains about how this maps to the jclouds TemplateOptions class, there
is little logic for what is a top-level key-value and what goes inside
templateOptions. So I think a user would want them both merged.

Aled