brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Heneveld <alex.henev...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject brooklyn br cli + go lang required for build
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2016 13:10:18 GMT

 > This is to announce that the Brooklyn Client Command Line Interface
tool has been
 > added to the Apache Brooklyn "brooklyn-client" repository [1].

This is excellent!  Great work Robert, Geoff, and David.

I've already switched to using the CLI for many things, from deploying
to looking up details.  The fun will really start when we're embedding
this in scripts and using `jq` on the output.

You may have seen lots of commits across projects just now:  the CLI is
now built and bundled as part of the dist.  This means you need Go 1.6
installed.  Or you can use `-Dno-go-client` if building in the uber.
(See the README at [1].)

Now we just need to release 0.9.0.

Best
Alex

[1]  https://github.com/apache/brooklyn

On 09/03/2016 12:35, Geoff Macartney wrote:
> This is to announce that the Brooklyn Client Command Line Interface tool has been added
to the Apache Brooklyn "brooklyn-client" repository [1].

> This is a lightweight, standalone command line client for Apache Brooklyn, written in
Go.  The intention is to provide the same control over Brooklyn that until now has only been
possible via the graphical UI, but at the command line. So not only can Brooklyn now be used
without requiring a web browser, but it also allows power users and devops teams to automate
Brooklyn with shell scripts.

> The tool name is "br".  Just to give a couple of quick examples, you could deploy a blueprint
with

> $ br deploy webapp.yaml
>
> You can then check the progress of the installation by querying the application you just
deployed:

> $ br application WebCluster
> Id:              lmOcZbsT
> Name:            WebCluster
> ServiceUp:       true
> ... etc.
>
> (or just "br app").
>
> The tool also lets you examine the status of individual entities in the application,
check sensor values and policy configuration, examine the activity history, and even invoke
effectors.

> The documentation for Brooklyn will be updated with guides for the CLI, and you can already
read the current snapshot documentation [2].

> It is worth noting that the tool is still under development, and, while it has broad
coverage of Brooklyn functionality at present, there are still things to do.

> If you are interested in seeing a demo of the CLI in action, you might want to look at
a blog post I wrote recently [3].  This is actually on a different topic (Brooklyn Salt integration)
but does show the CLI in action.