brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Alex Heneveld <alex.henev...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject move to new repos THIS WEEKEND ?
Date Thu, 28 Jan 2016 10:09:05 GMT

Brooklyners-

TL;DR: *switch to new repos at the weekend, incubator commits cut-off 
proposed for Sat 10am UK*

The new project structure seems to be working well and I think it's time 
to move to the new repos apache/brooklyn and apache/brooklyn-*, and then 
retire the incubator project.

I've built on Richard's separation scripts, with the current version at 
https://github.com/ahgittin/brooklyn-repo-split, and it also seems to be 
working very well.  You can inspect the resulting projects at these URL's:

     https://github.com/ahgittin/brooklyn
     https://github.com/ahgittin/brooklyn-dist
     https://github.com/ahgittin/brooklyn-docs
     https://github.com/ahgittin/brooklyn-library
     https://github.com/ahgittin/brooklyn-server
     https://github.com/ahgittin/brooklyn-ui

You can try them for yourself e.g. using:

     for x in brooklyn{,-{dist,docs,library,server,ui}} ; do
         git clone git@github.com:ahgittin/$x.git
     done
     cd brooklyn/
     mvn clean install

I have done a lot of checking that these are all healthy -- see below -- 
but I'd value some others also casting their eyes over the projects.  If 
there are other checks I should do when I run them again please let me know.

If this looks good I propose we wait until the weekend to cut over. If 
there is no objection we would STOP committing to the incubator project 
at Saturday 10am UK, and I will re-run the scripts, test, and push to 
apache/ repos instead of ahgittin.

Meanwhile I have some notes on migrating incubator PR's and branches to 
the new repos and on using subprojects which I will complete and circulate.

Best
Alex


CHECKS I'VE DONE

A) The command:

     git log --oneline --follow `find . -name AbstractEntity.java`

gives the same output modulo commit ID's and excluding the additional 
directory promotion commit in the new repo, 415 commits total

B) `find .` gives the same output, modulo items in the root and the 
.git/ dirs (actual command: `find -E . \! -regex '.*/\.git(/.*)?' \! 
-regex '\./[[:alnum:]\.]+'`)

C) Both builds work and the built artifacts are identical except for 
MANIFEST.MF (Implementation-SHA-1 and Bnd-LastModified) and 
pom.properties (timestamp)

D) Size of project is the same and history is substantially smaller:

incubator:

262M    ./.git
  44K    ./brooklyn
652K    ./brooklyn-dist
  16M    ./brooklyn-docs
9.6M    ./brooklyn-library
  19M    ./brooklyn-server
5.1M    ./brooklyn-ui
312M    .
of which 262M is */.git, 50M current

new:

180K    ./brooklyn/.git
224K    ./brooklyn
812K    ./brooklyn-dist/.git
1.4M    ./brooklyn-dist
  20M    ./brooklyn-docs/.git
  36M    ./brooklyn-docs
  15M    ./brooklyn-library/.git
  24M    ./brooklyn-library
  36M    ./brooklyn-server/.git
  55M    ./brooklyn-server
7.6M    ./brooklyn-ui/.git
  13M    ./brooklyn-ui
129M    .
of which 79M is */.git, 50M current

The size improvement comes of course from big WAR artifacts in ancient 
history which aren't being copied across.

The remaining size is mostly accounted for by:
* screenshots in docs
* some big JS in library/sandbox history and in ui (a bit of a shame as 
when we move to bower/grunt these deps won't be part of the repo, but a 
few megs isn't really that much)
* lots of files in server and its history (none esp big, nearly all needed)

END


Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message