brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Downer <rich...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] new repos and project migration
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2015 12:31:54 GMT
Hi Alex,

On 26 November 2015 at 11:33, Alex Heneveld
<alex.heneveld@cloudsoftcorp.com> wrote:

> Richard-
>
> In case you missed it:
[...]

I had missed this. My apologies. It is an interesting point.

> Also worth noting that in recent communities, like Go, and Chef, and NodeJS,
> projects will routines check out LOTS of other git projects. [...]
>
> There has also been discussion -- generally positive -- for adding git
> submodules to apache/brooklyn.

Could I see an example of some other projects using this type of
structure? I checked out the source code for Go and Node.js but it
*appears* that the main repos for both are self-contained.

I do like Git submodules and I would definitely say that we consider
them. But they have many issues of their own.

Therefore I would like to see some examples of projects that are using
an arrangement similar to what is proposed. If I know that other
projects are successfully using this pattern then I would be happy.

> In short, in order to encourage contribution I want to go for the project
> structure that is the most welcoming, both to older big-codebase developers
> like me, and to the more recent more-projects=better school

I am less familiar with the latter, so forgive me for being a bit
old-school. I'm not the sprightly young developer I used to be, back
when migrating projects from CVS to Subversion was cool ;-)

Thanks
Richard