brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Heneveld <alex.henev...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: [HEADS-UP] Brooklyn graduation <- git repos, docs, cli
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2015 12:51:33 GMT

Hi All-

So we are sitting at:

* brooklyn - master project, pointers to others
* brooklyn-core - contains util, api, core, policy, and rest api
* brooklyn-ui - JS GUI
* brooklyn-library - tomcat, cassandra, etc

But a few things have occured to me:

(1) It will be confusing have `brooklyn-core` as a git project of which
the sub-dir `core` containing *maven* project `brooklyn-core` is just
ONE part.  Maybe that piece should be called `brooklyn-server` ?

(2) David and Geoff sent a proposal for a CLI *client* -- which would
allow us to tweak the getting started guide to be based on a CLI.  This
CLI client could be a separate project, maybe `brooklyn-cli`.  As it
sounds like it will be written in go (which makes easy-to-install
binaries) and the way go works life will definitely be easier if this is
a separate project.

(2A) We have an existing `brooklyn-cli` used to launch the server from
the CLI.  Rename this `brooklyn-server-cli`?

(3) The docs/ subdir (the web-site) also is a logically separate piece;
personally I think it deserves its own git repo (`brooklyn-docs`) and
not in `brooklyn`

(4) I know git submodules are far from perfect but maybe that's a good
thing to put into `brooklyn`, along with a README and a master pom which
can build all subprojects.  (It's either submodules or scripts I think,
and decent info in the README, because otherwise it will be confusing
for people using the code.)

One nice thing about the above is that the different languages and
contribution areas are different git projects; docs (markdown) in one,
UI (js/html) in another, library (java/yaml) another, server (java), and
cli (go).  Assuming people agree with the above we'd have a different
proposal:

* brooklyn
* brooklyn-server
* brooklyn-docs
* brooklyn-ui
* brooklyn-cli
* brooklyn-library

Although it is a fair few projects it feels natural.  In for a penny, in
for a pound.

Finally in terms of process I'd like to suggest a (5) that we:

* remove references to "incubator"
* cut a 0.9.0 release
* bump to 1.0.0-snapshot
* do a git copy with history to move things into new repo structure in
someone's personal space (but removing the awful big binaries from early
history), and possibly test the submodules workflow
* point infra at that repo and with the list of commands we ran to make that

Where people have opinions can I suggest they reply with something like:

(1) +1
(2) +1
(2A) +1
(3) +1
(4) +0
(5) +1

(^^^ my votes)

Best
Alex

On 18/11/2015 20:22, Richard Downer wrote:
> +1 - that sounds like a good idea. I'd suggest that - at least
> initially - the docs go into this repository.
>
> I'm still not convinced about the versioning - BUT that is a separate
> issue and won't block consensus for splitting the repositories.
>
> Hadrian, any thoughts on the feasibility of editing the history to
> remove the large binary objects? That seems to have to got lost in
> this thread.
>
> Richard.
>

> On 18 November 2015 at 19:02, Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbarcea@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you see apache/brooklyn as being the distro project? If that's the case
>> +1 from me.
>>
>> Hadrian
>>

>> On 11/18/2015 01:59 PM, Alex Heneveld wrote:
>>> For external relations purposes and as an umbrella should we also have
>>> apache/brooklyn ?
>>>
>>> I tend to think yes.
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Alex