brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Downer <rich...@apache.org>
Subject Blog for Apache Brooklyn?
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2015 11:43:34 GMT
Hi all,

I'm wondering how much interest there is an an official blog for
Apache Brooklyn. We already have a number of social media channels[1]
but there could be value in an official blog closely associated with
our Apache project rather than being on a third-party site.

Key questions are:

- Can we get enough content to make regular posts?

- Would this distract from other areas (e.g. is it easier to write a
blog post to demonstrate a feature, than it is to write a good-quality
chapter in the user guide)?

- Would managing it - starting it, chasing up content, moderating
comments - be a hassle?

As for where it would be hosted, we have a few choices:

- https://blogs.apache.org has a straightforward process for adding
project blogs[2]. Pros are that this is an official service, cons are
that it's not integrated into our own site and it's not the most
visually appealing.

- Jekyll - which generates our website
https://brooklyn.incubator.apache.org - supports blogging[3]. Pros are
that it's fully integrated into our primary website, integrating into
our source control (so anybody can propose a blog post by opening a
PR); cons are that we'd be dependent on a service like Disqus to
provide comments. jclouds operates in this way[4].

- Some other third party service

Comments?

[1] https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-brooklyn-dev/201509.mbox/%3CCABQFKi2UyLjcKSQuoErKBPs0FgY4-2cTVtWDCpNeRV9jP0RmjA%40mail.gmail.com%3E
[2] https://www.apache.org/dev/project-blogs