brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Downer <rich...@apache.org>
Subject Re: need help with chef server yaml
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2015 15:21:50 GMT
Hi Gowri,

I've been experimenting with this (after a bit of setting up - it's
been a while since I used Chef Server) but I have managed to get a
successful deployment.

Some key alterations from your blueprint that I had to make:

`chef_mode` needs to be `knife` to work in Chef Server mode. Slightly
unintuitive, but this is because that the interaction with Chef Server
is through the workstation `knife` tool (we don't currently support
direct API interaction with the Chef server.)

`chef_server_url` needs to include the organization within the server
- like https://example.com/organizations/myorg

You need to have the `knife` workstation tools installed, and a
suitable `knife.rb` configuration file. You may need to use the
`brooklyn.chef.knife.configFile` configuration option to tell Brooklyn
where the `knife.rb` file is located, if it's not in a suitable
default location.

It seems that the `mysql::server` recipe referred to in the example
documentation no longer exists. But a different cookbook, `mysqld`,
may be a suitable replacement.

There is unfortunately a bug in Brooklyn 0.8.0 which mis-reads the
`privateKeyFile` location configuration option - it doesn't understand
that the configuration can specify multiple private key files and
tries to read it as a literal string. The workaround is to manually
specify a correct, singular `privateKeyFile` in the location
configuration.

Here is my complete working blueprint:
http://paste.apache.org/80Yb

Hope this helps. I'll be submitting a patch to fix the privateKeyFile
bug and update the Chef documentation.

Richard.