brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Ciprian Ciubotariu <cheepe...@gmx.net>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Split brooklyn-core during OSGification
Date Mon, 12 Oct 2015 13:53:17 GMT
While working on running Brooklyn inside Karaf I ran into the code that
manages an embedded Apache Felix runtime.

Since the roles are now reversed, I propose to split brooklyn-core into the
following:

* brooklyn-core - new implementation using the Karaf-provided OSGi runtime
* brooklyn-rt-felix - existing code using felix as an embedded OSGI runtime
(which will no longer be needed when OSGification is complete)

This change is much needed since the Apache Felix packages that are used to
start and stop the embedded framework are private within the felix bundle

My intention is to move current code to brooklyn-rt-felix, and defer to it
when the Karaf container is not present, while using the Karaf-provided
felix/equinox framework by default.

I have already started to code in that direction, but since this is a larger
change I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.