brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Duncan Grant <duncan.gr...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Sensors for ambari metrics
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2015 10:55:31 GMT
I would like to be able to add policies to a brooklyn-ambari blueprint that
can react to ambari metrics e.g. to add extra nodes when load reaches a set
level.  To do this I need sensors that read the metrics provided by Ambari.

Ambari provides a lot of metrics per deployed component and I'm not sure
what the best brooklyn practice to make these available would be.  I think
the following are all possibilities:
1) On AmbariServer entity dynamically add a sensor for each individual
metric but this would mean adding a couple of hundred sensors.
2) On AmbariServer entity dynamically add a sensor for each component's
metrics with a value of type map.  I'm not sure if this is possible or how
easy it would then be to add a policy based on the value of items in the
map.
3) Create a few specific sensors that will read specific values.  If
someone needs more then they would need to extend java.
4) Create a generic Enricher that can be added in yaml and can be
configured to dynamically add a sensor for a specific metric.  I think this
should be possible but would require some sort of json path value to direct
it to the correct metric.

Does anyone have any advice on the best approach here?

Regards

Duncan

message after it was sent.