brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Refactor packages to avoid the split package problem
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2015 22:49:10 GMT
Agree on all counts. Especially on getting more opinions on this topic.

Your memory serves you well :). The situation you described is not a
split package.

I'd suggest staying on this thread, but identify issues separately,
discuss them separately and decide later how to deal with contentions,
because hopefully there won't be the case. So I will start with capturing:

1. How to deal with ./api? In general I have a slight preference towards
making things explicit. In this case I am mostly neutral. I would be
fine with either aob.* or oab.api.*. There is a bit of a grey area, I
think for packages like oab.entity.*, say .trait. A user would not know
immediately what bundle implements that, especially if we'd have stuff
in oab.entity.core (or whatever other convention we come up with).

2. What is the convention for implementations in multiple bundles?
Should it be for example: oab.entity.core.* or oab.core.entity.* or
something else? My preference would be oab.core.entity.*. The motivation
is that a human user would be able to quickly guess that the package is
implemented in brooklyn-core. Computers and tools don't care much.

Cheers,
Hadrian

On 08/06/2015 04:48 PM, Aled Sage wrote:
> Remind me: it doesn't count as split packages if org.apache.brooklyn.entity is in one
module and org.apache.brooklyn.entity.core is in another?

> On balance, I'd prefer api module to be the odd one out: not to include .api in the package
names.

> I'm a fan of simple interface names. IMO it reads nicer/simpler if you miss out api.
>
> I could be argued round though.
>
> ---
> This is a big *one-off decision*.
>
> I'm keen to get more people's opinions!
>
> Aled
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

>> On 6 Aug 2015, at 17:32, Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbarcea@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I agree. I am not sure what the best structure is, we can refine it while we do the
refactoring. For the api part though (which is my focus now) how do you feel about org.apache.brooklyn.api?