brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Raul Canta <r...@apifocal.com>
Subject Re: Question about the Brooklyn webui
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2015 15:07:09 GMT
Hi all,

Aled, I used the Balsamiq tool and reconstructed the mockups i sent earier
and made some changes on the "applications" view.

It's just an rough mockup to know if this is what you had in mind for the
"drag & drop graph"
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38051787/ApacheBrooklyn-Editor.pdf
 Similar to what Adrian Nieto proposed.

Adrián Nieto, as Aled said earier in the email, i think is better to do
first some basic mockups for the editor and after everyone is happy with
the result i can do a more "realistic" mockup.

Let me know your thoughts,
Raul C.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Aled Sage <aled.sage@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've put together some draft use-cases for the blueprint designer.
> Feedback extremely welcome:
>

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A1oaIbGPDXgJsum0QnE9gmYfLwRotEOTPnoi3zqXTD8/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Aled
>

> On 14/07/2015 14:29, Aled Sage wrote:
>
>> Hi Adrian,
>>
>> I agree it's on the right track, with drag-and-drop of services
>> (analogous to existing entities/blueprints), and settings on each of those
>> services (analogous to config options).
>>
>> An important difference from Microsoft Robotics Studio is that we are
>> mostly talking about a deployment configuration, whereas the robotics
>> studio is a graphical programming language. Therefore, the analogy will
>> break down so we have to be careful about what ideas we take from that.
>>
>> ---
>> Labels/layers sounds sensible.
>>
>> We should also write up some use-cases. I volunteer to make a start on
>> that.
>>
>> ---
>> In terms of mockups, I love wire frames and tools like Balsamiq [1]. It
>> allows for extremely fast iterations, fast feedback, and avoids
>> (time/emotional) investment in more "realistic" mockups. I suggest we all
>> agree that any mockup code is throw-away. If it's not, then we're at risk
>> of spending too much time on a single phase of the mockup, rather than
>> getting our ideas out there for fast feedback.
>>
>> Aled
>>
>> [1] https://balsamiq.com/products/mockups/
>>
>> On 14/07/2015 14:14, Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Adrian,
>>>
>>> This looks very interesting to me. Complex approach or not, I believe
>>> this is what is needed and you're on the right track.
>>>
>>> I spent quite a bit of time thinking about this problem. My intuition
>>> tells me now that we need to introduce some metadata like labels and layers
>>> to handle complexity. However, I don't have a concrete proposal at this
>>> point and I am not sure how productive it would be to just throw ideas.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Hadrian

GUI