brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Ciprian Ciubotariu <cheepe...@gmx.net>
Subject Renaming packages to org.apache.brooklyn
Date Sat, 18 Jul 2015 16:45:09 GMT
As part of the apache process, brooklyn needs to rename its packages with the
org.apache prefix. I have already started the process and refactored some
projects.

My branch for this effort is https://github.com/CMoH/incubator-brooklyn/tree/rename_org_apache,
based on the master 0.8.0 branch, from which
I will regularly create PRs.

As I am approaching the core packages, the core API is bound to change more
and more. I hope you will support my efforts by attempting to process the
current PR queue, reviewing my PRs in this regard and maybe adding your own
efforts to this refactoring.

I suggest that the the first 0.8.x releases be used to weed out issues related
to the rename, while allowing the brooklyn community (downstream projects,
etc) to catch up. (They will have to adapt to the new naming scheme when 0.8.0
gets released)

So far, the most sensitive issues I encountered are:

1. YAML blueprints that contain classnames
2. migration of persisted names
3. REST endpoints that change their URLs

For #1, we can either change the YAML files to add the org.apache prefix, or
choose a naming scheme that does not publicize the class package name (like
URNs, or even the old naming scheme).

For #3, I would choose to update the REST service consumers to the new
resource paths (i.e. /v1/apidoc/brooklyn.rest.resources.ApidocResource becomes
/v1/apidoc/org.apache.brooklyn.rest.resources.ApidocResource) and have the
clients adjust their code for 0.8.0.

I await your comments and advice on how to handle these issues (and maybe
other problems that I have not yet encountered).

Ciprian