brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Aled Sage <aled.s...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about the Brooklyn webui
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:03:24 GMT
Thanks Raul.

I see your diagram shows a tree view for designing a blueprint (similar
to how the "applications" tab shows the runtime view).

I personally was more imagining a drag-and-drop graph of nodes + edges.
Dragging an entity onto the canvas would mean it gets added to the YAML
behind-the-scenes; creating an edge between two entities would trigger a
way to choose how they are connected (e.g. if connecting database to
app-server, then what configuration of the database is injected into the
app-server; the direction the line is drawn / dragged could indicate
which component is having the config injected into it perhaps).

I do see that containment could get fiddly. For example, a "dynamic
cluster" would contain as config an entity type for its members.
Similarly (but not exactly the same!) an entity could contain multiple
child entities.

---
The tree-view in your diagrams feels optimised for the "containment"
use-case, rather than for the configuration-injection / dependencies
use-case.

---
Also, let's not include this under the "applications" tab at the top.
That view is normally about viewing existing apps (except when the "+"
in the top-left is clicked!). We probably want an entirely different
section for blueprint definition.

The result (i.e. what is designed with that blueprint designer) could be
either added to the catalog or be used immediately for creating a new app.

Thoughts?

Aled