brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From "Kellish, Scott (CT US)" <skell...@siemens.com>
Subject RE: Help getting started with AWS VPC
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2015 13:35:22 GMT
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the advanced networking project and as you mentioned, found
it pretty daunting but will look again. My initial takeaway about Brooklyn is that all of
the entities seem to involve running instances. I don't see any docs/examples showing more
static infrastructure like an AWS VPC or subnet or security group etc. Am I correct? I started
creating some code inheriting from BasicEntity (as opposed to SoftwareProcess since there's
nothing to SSH into for a VPC), but I don't quite understand the lifecycle of how a BasicEntity
derived object gets initialized. Where would I put my code to create the VPC and later destroy
it?  My code thus far is attached.

Thanks
Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Downer [mailto:richard@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 9:20 AM
To: dev@brooklyn.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Help getting started with AWS VPC

Hi Scott,

Welcome to Brooklyn :-)

I suggest you take a look at the "advanced networking" project:
https://github.com/brooklyncentral/advanced-networking

It's a set of entities that support network concepts for a few clouds. It's not strictly part
of Brooklyn, instead it's part of the wider community.

AWS is not yet supported by advanced-networking, so your contribution could be very useful!
You could start by looking at how advanced-networking has done this for CloudStack, and use
similar techniques for your AWS VPC implementation.

Be warned that the networking is pretty complex code. If you are new to Brooklyn and to Java
I'd suggest starting with simpler entities first?

Richard.