brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Aled Sage <aled.s...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ways to use Brooklyn during development?
Date Tue, 19 May 2015 13:35:17 GMT
Hi Chris,

Great to hear you're trying out Brooklyn!

For running Brooklyn serverless, you can either just run the Brooklyn
process on your laptop telling it to deploy to localhost (or to local
VMs), or you can interact with brooklyn programmatically to embed it.

You'll likely find the separate Brooklyn process easier to setup.

---
For many blueprints, they are written to be able to deploy to localhost
(but some require sudo rights, and passwordless ssh).

In yaml, you just say:

    location: localhost

---
For deploying to local VMs, note that we're using Apache jclouds under
the covers.

You can therefore deploy to anything that jclouds supports (and a few
more things).

I know that *Svet Neykov* did some work to be able to deploy to Vagrant
(so that it launches/terminates the VMs for you).

You can also use a "byon" location (bring your own nodes), configuring
Brooklyn to target existing ssh'able VMs. You just supply the IPs,
username and credential (if it's not your default ~/.ssh/id_rsa or
~/.ssh/id_dsa).

---
Lastly, you can deploy to Docker containers using the downstream Clocker
project [1].

---
Also of interest is a maven plugin that allows you to hook Brooklyn into
your build process.

You can use Brooklyn to spin up your multi-node app (e.g. several VMs or
docker containers), and inject its endpoint into a test suite. Your test
suite can then run against that app instance. The app will be torn down
once the test suite is complete.

*Sam Corbett* wrote that, and can provide more information.

Aled

[1] http://clocker.io

On 19/05/2015 10:02, Christofer Dutz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since reviewing some of the ApacheCon submissions for ApacheCon in Austin I am pretty
interested in Booklyn. Unfortunately I haven’t had the opportunity to dig deeper.

> Now I have such an opportunity and wanted to ask if it is possible to integrate Brooklyn
into my development process.

> I know that in general Brooklyn is constructed as Server-Centric approach, but as with
other sever-centric approaches there usually is some serverless mode which I could use to
use Brooklyn for setting up local dev environments during development. I would expect to be
able to provide a blueprint and have that executed locally, eventually setting up some vagrant
vms and provisioning them.

> Am I on a completely wrong path? Would something like this make sense, but none has built
it yet? If the later is valid … need/want help with this?

> I really like the notation and the general concept and that I can extend it with Java
… this is one thing that I like most with Brooklyn :-)