brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Harris <martin.har...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: Windows support in Brooklyn
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2015 14:00:57 GMT
Aled / All

If you want a sneak-peak at what I've done so far, there's a 'Review Only'
PR here [1], which is dependent upon the java-winrm project here [2]. I'm
currently working on fleshing out the VanillaWindowsProcess, but early
input would be appreciated

[1]: https://github.com/apache/incubator-brooklyn/pull/599
[2]: https://github.com/cloudsoft/java-winrm

Cheers

On 15 April 2015 at 14:42, Aled Sage <aled.sage@gmail.com> wrote:

> Martin,
>
> Excellent - sounds like a good plan. Use of WinRM will be so much better
> than the WinSSH approach!
>
> It will also be good to ensure that Windows entities can be written easily
> in YAML + additional files containing powershell (e.g. folk don't have to
> embed any powershell inside Java code, for example).
>
> Let us know if there's any code we can help review, or anywhere else we
> can help out.
>
> Aled
>

> On 15/04/2015 02:34, Martin Harris wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I'd like to add improved WIndows support to Brooklyn, including use of
>> WinRM
>>
>> There's been some previous talk of providing support for deploying to
>> Windows, and a couple of successful spikes have been done using either
>> Chef
>> or the bitvise WinSSH tool [1]. The use of WinSSH, however, is limited by
>> the fact that it's a commercial product and beyond a thirty day trial
>> period requires a licence per installation
>>
>> A better option is using WinRM. However, there is no Java client for WinRM
>> with an appropriate license for inclusion in an apache project. Luckily we
>> can use the pywinrm Python client [2], and jython [3] to bridge between
>> Java and Python
>>
>> Building on an initial spike by Richard Downer, I can open a WinRM session
>> to a Windows VM and execute basic command prompt and powershell commands.
>> As a separate spike, I've also identified powershell commands for
>> downloading and installing Windows installer files (.msi)
>>
>> The next stage is to wire this into Brooklyn. I'll create a WinRmTool
>> (analogous to our SshTool) and a WindowsMachineLocation (analogous to our
>> SshMachineLocation)
>>
>> I'll first target a BYON location (bring your own nodes), and will then
>> move on to updating the jclouds integration so it returns the appropriate
>> type of MachineLocation based on the VM type
>>
>> Does that sound like a good plan? As always, any feedback or contributions
>> are extremely welcome
>>
>> [1]: https://www.bitvise.com/ssh-server
>> [2]: https://github.com/diyan/pywinrm/
>> [3]: http://www.jython.org/