brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Kennedy <andrew.kenn...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Java Seven and Eight
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2015 21:14:01 GMT
Hi.

What is our current policy for Java 1.7.x and 1.8.x usage? I see that there
have been some recent PRs that changed to use the proper Java `javac`
compiler instead of Groovy, and some references to fixing build errors with
java 8 as well.

Can (Should?) we be using JVM and JDK 7 features in the code now? What
about lambdas and other JVM 8 features? I had an ideafrom  somewhere that
we are restricted to Java 6, perhaps for some reason to do with jclouds?
But, that doesn't seem right...

FYI, based on Oracle documentation [1] Java 6 'End of Public Updates' was
February 201, and for 7 it is April 2015. Their 'Premier Support' for Java
6 will end on December 2015, and July 2019 for 7. We're good until March of
2022 for 8, with 'Extended Support' for that lasting until 2025!

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

Cheers,
Andrew.
--
-- andrew kennedy ? distributed systems hacker :
http://blog.abstractvisitorpattern.co.uk/ ;