brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Downer <rich...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "force resolution of localhost to be loopback, otherwise we hit problems"
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:34:31 GMT
Sam,

I would guess that if the hostname/domain name are properly configured
everything should work. Unfortunately, it's easy to *not* quite
configure networking correctly.

My understanding of the canonical way to set the system hostname and
domain name is as follows:

/etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1  hostname hostname.domainname localhost
# that must be the first non-comment line

Configure the system hostname (without domainname); IIRC, on
Debian-derivatives you write it to the file /etc/hostname, and on
RedHat-derivatives there's a variable in /etc/sysconfig/network

Then either run "hostname newhostname" or "service network restart" or reboot.

Check it works:
# hostname
(returns the bare hostname)
# hostname --fqdn
(returns the hostname and DNS domainname)