brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Heneveld <alex.henev...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: How are new features / project directions being discussed?
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 12:19:20 GMT

+1

I think "going straight to PR" is the biggest issue.

This isn't always the case.  Several technical decisions and feature
items have come through the list (brooklyn maven plugin, website
rewrite, tosca support) and sometimes also JIRA.  Not much has been done
off list -- but a fair amount has been only on IRC, or just in PR's,
neither of which many people see.

In any case whatever it is, if it's something people might be interested
in send it to the list.  If not, then it shouldn't be committed unless
it's trivial.  The logical conclusion then (just in case anyone is rusty
on their modus tollens) is that all non-trivial commits should be
discussed on list.

That said I'm as guilty as anyone.  So thanks Chip for the nudge.

The other semi-process we've been using are shared documents for feature
proposals [1].  These have been announced on the list but I think we
refine this process so that we email PDF's of the doc to the mailing
list (a) when it is first proposed and (b) once it is completed; and (c)
send significant updates/summaries to the list for wider discussion.
(The reasoning here is that it will be aggravating to have small details
discussed here, and that a shared doc allows good updating and makes it
easy to get comments from anyone, but at the same time we want permanent
records lodged within Apache.)

Best
Alex

[1]