brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Jeroen van der Wal <jer...@stromboli.it>
Subject Brooklyn: does it fit in?
Date Sun, 07 Dec 2014 23:38:17 GMT
Hi all,

I hadn't heard of Apache Brooklyn before ApacheCon and out of curiosity I
attended the presentations: it was love on first sight. But falling in love
is easy, before getting into a relationship you have to know each other
better. And there's the family too ;-)

I'm PMC member of the Apache Isis project, a Java framework for rapid
Domain Drive application development. A typical Isis application is
perfectly fit to be provisioned through Brooklyn so in the next months I'm
going to experiment with that. Now the sysadmins of my most friendly
customer are getting aware that they must start implementing some DevOps
practices. They're at the stage of looking at Chef or Puppet and have a
steep learning curve ahead of them so I was playing the idea of introducing
Brooklyn to them and hit two flies at once (a Dutch expression maybe not
proper English..). They don't have an urge to go to the cloud but have a
myriad of internal (Java) applications and also OTS things like OpenLDAP,
JIRA, Confluence, Nexus, Jenkins, Zabbix, etc.

My question is: would Brooklyn fit in landscapes similar to my customer or
should I not bother them and leave them with Chef, Puppet or whatever and
just try to do our Apache Isis provisioning with Brooklyn?

Any guidance or advice is appreciated. In any case keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Jeroen van der Wal