brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: license headers and config section
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2014 02:14:59 GMT
So in general, citing precedence because a TLP does something won't
help you. TLPs are generally pretty independent, their PMCs get to
make decisions and worst case they have to justify their actions to
the board. Podlings on the other hand, have their releases, especially
their first release, really vetted thoroughly to comply with policy as
its written. In place of a PMC, podlings have the IPMC - which is a
group of 450 people who sit in judgement of your codebase. I don't
mean that to sound harsh, but that's the situation. Demonstrating the
ability to do IP Clearance right is a big deal; and a huge effort. It
can be painful, and annoying; for the first ACS release, we had a
number of config files with no copyright information that we had to
track the original author down for to get an explicit grant; and it
took us weeks to get that sorted to everyone's satisfaction. I said
all of that to say, there are valid reasons to not have a source
header; that $BigTLP does it that way is invariably not one of them.
The Apache brand has a strong reputation for it's clean IP, and decent
record keeping, and some of the rigidity in place is designed to keep
that reputation intact.

--David