brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Corbett <sam.corb...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: Persisting catalogues
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2014 16:28:36 GMT
Hi Richard,

Is trying to merge catalogues preferable? It strikes me as a recipe for
conflicts. Do we require that the user make the same change to all
servers in a HA deployment? Would the server baulk at discrepancies? I'm
coming to interpret catalog.xml and brooklyn.properties as files that
bootstrap the server. Any interaction with them should be discouraged
once the server has started, else everything gets confusing in a
persisted and/or multi-server deployment. If a user wants to add a new
item to the catalogue they should post its blueprint to the server.

With regard to automatically populating the catalogue, does it not
happen already? I'd thought it was intended at least. I made a change to
location resolution recently so custom location resolvers (like
DockerResolver in Clocker) are loaded properly. Perhaps the same needs
to happen when the server scans for @Catalog annotated classes.

Speaking of discrepancies, it feels unusual to me that location
definitions are not part of the catalogue. I guess this is historical,
but the split makes life a bit awkward. I'm working toward persisting a
structure ~ like:

/
   entities/
      -> all entities in management context
   locations/
      -> locations used by entities
   ..
   catalog/
      id -> xml representation of a brooklyn.catalog.CatalogItem.

There is nowhere to store location definitions (/specs) in this
structure. Do I try to work them in to the catalog directory or should
they be another top-level item?

Sam