brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Kennedy <andrew.kenn...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: Install pointing to Localhost - Not working?
Date Sun, 24 Aug 2014 20:03:28 GMT
On 24 August 2014 02:52, Tony Su <tonysu@su-networking.com> wrote:

> initially started with the Quickstart at
> https://brooklyn.incubator.apache.org/quickstart/
>
>  Downloaded and installed as described.
>
> Created the folder ~/.Brooklyn
> (BTW -  would it be that difficult to create this folder as part of
> the install? Not sure because docs don't say whether Brooklyn always
> looks for exactly this folder or a folder with similar relational path
> to where the brooklyn app files are located. Am also curious why this
> location isn't part of the main app file tree to make packaging and
> paths simple)

There is a command-line option '--localBrooklynProperties' that can point
to a separate brooklyn.properties file outside this location. At present we
don't support a different location for the .brooklyn folder as it is
hard-coded, or auto-create it, but those could be useful features.

> Ran the commands that set environments (directory and path)
>
> Launched brooklyn and viewed web page successfully.
>
> Downloaded the brooklyn.properties file to this directory.

The brooklyn.properties specifies locations, and will need to be edited
with your cloud identity and credential configured in the correct place.
there is documentation on how to do this on the web, and in the sample file
itself. Make sure you save the edited file back to the .brooklyn folder in
your home directory.

> Relaunched brooklyn (brooklyn launch).
> But nothing in the YAML tab. Is there supposed to be something?

No, the YAML tab is used to input a blueprint, written using the CAMP YAML
specification.

> Since there are no screenshots or description what should be
> displayed, I have no idea if the YAML tab should be pre-poplulated
> with settings (I would expect) but aren't seeing anything. or if it
> should be completely blank and then I would ask what the whole purpose
> is of downloading brooklyn.properties?
>
> Despite the above, I then attempted to follow
> https://brooklyn.incubator.apache.org/quickstart/policies-and-catalogs.html
>
> But again, after downloading
> catalog.xml
>
> And re-launching brooklyn,
> Nothing has changed. I don't see the objects in the screenshot.

The Catalog tab should show a list of available pre-configured applications
you can launch, similar to the image in the quickstart page you linked
above. Check that your .brooklyn folder (in your home directory) has a file
called catalog.xml now. This is what is used to populate that tab. With the
file from the quickstart page there should be two exaple applications, both
web clusters.

All - Do we not have another catalog.xml file with a wider range of
applications? I thought the default should list more than the two webapp
clusters?

Andrew.
--
-- andrew kennedy ? cloud engineer :