brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Kennedy <andrew.kenn...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: New Advanced Networking Project
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2014 18:34:51 GMT
Hi.

There is support for tagging in some of the jclouds APIs and providers, so
it is certainly the sort of thing that can be pushed out from Brooklyn if
you are using a cloud API that supports this functionality. We provide
`STRING_TAGS` in the `JcloudsLocation` configuration if you want to tag the
VMs for a blueprint with some pre-defined label. So, this YAML will start a
Tomcat server and a MySQL database on VMs with the "testing" tag:

id: tagged-application
locations:
- jclouds:aws-ec2:eu-west-1:
    tags: "testing"
services:
- serviceType: brooklyn.entity.webapp.tomcat.TomcatServer
- serviceType: brooklyn.entity.database.mysql.MySqlNode

It could also be set as part of the provisioning data for each VM
automatically as well, if you implement `obtainProvisioningFlags()` in the
entity, or write a `JcloudslocationCustomizer` implementation.

If you're thinking of something more than just adding a static string as a
tag, that would also be interesting. For example, setting a complete set of
metadata reflecting the information Brooklyn knows (application id, entity
type, user id, activity, state and so forth) about the current entity onto
its provisioned VM, then the VMs could be filtered and managed or monitored
by tools operating on the underlying cloud API themselves.

It sounds like a useful feature, and would fit into the
`advanced-networking` project. Using OpenStack and AWS EC2 only to begin to
give us a PoC for a common private cloud API and public cloud provider.
Something like a location customisation step, carried out when a
`MachineProvisioningLocation` has its `obtain()` method called, to
provision a new `SshMachineLocation` and we call the appropriate API to set
the required tags?

Andrew.
--
-- andrew kennedy ? engineer : http://cloudsoftcorp.com/developers/ ;