brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Heneveld <alex.henev...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: CI & sonatype builds status -- major refactoring will be needed, suggested plan to minimize disruption
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2014 11:28:11 GMT

Hi Andrew, All-

Thanks.  I have created the JIRA [1] to have ASF nexus access.

However there are some major changes we will have to make before we can
use it:

* We must publish to a groupId under org.apache.  (I have suggested
org.apache.brooklyn.)

* We should move all classes to be under package `org.apache.brooklyn`.
(This is not a strict requirement from what I see but I think it is best
practice.)

Clearly this is going to be disruptive for our users.  That said it is
probably better to do this relatively soon, but I think we should have a
stable release in the old namespace and coordinates first.  So my
suggested plan is:

1) Tweak existing (non-ASF) CI servers to build and publish snapshots to
sonatype using the old co-ordinates, temporarily
2) Cut an 0.7.0 M2 and GA ASAP via the old channels
3) Then do the mass refactoring to use org.apache.brooklyn and publish
an 0.7.0 into Apache.  The groupId is different so there should be no
confusion, but we should refrain from doing any code changes apart from
Apache compliance so that the 0.7.0 versions are functionally identical
modulo the namespaces.  This will make it easier for people to cut over.
4) Turn off non-ASF CI servers.
5) Do all 0.8.0 dev in org.apache.brooklyn namespace (backporting only
essential fixes if needed)

WDYT?

Best
Alex