brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Aled Sage <aled.s...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: How to update catalogues and add entities on runtime?
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2014 12:00:40 GMT
Hi Ivan,

mailing list is the right one.

Currently in Brooklyn, it's only possible to update the catalog
programmatically. Same goes for adding jars to the classpath [1].
Unfortunately, there's not a nice way to drive this from the web-console
or command line.

Currently, restarting Brooklyn is the "safest" option in such cases - if
Brooklyn was started with `--persist auto` then the applications' state
will have been persisted, and it will rebind to the apps (this work is
ongoing to ensure it works with all the entities out there).

Moving forwards, there is work afoot to use OSGi for these exact
use-cases. I expect you'll be seeing a lot of traffic on dev@brooklyn on
this topic soon!
It would be great to get your thoughts on that - either now or when the
OSGi discussion kicks off properly.
There's a lot of interest in this, so I think it should make it into
Brooklyn in the near future.

Aled

[1] api/src/main/java/brooklyn/catalog/BrooklynCatalog.java - methods
like addItem() and addToClasspath()
     However, these are not used much (and are lacking good unit test
coverage) so treat with caution.