brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chipchild...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Mirroring to GitHub
Date Fri, 30 May 2014 14:03:51 GMT
On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 08:32:45AM +0100, Andrew Kennedy wrote:
> Hi, Alex.
>
> I think we need to choose which GitHub repository we use as the place to
> create pull requests. We have to select just one, as I think anything else
> has the potential for confusion, for instance due to the numbering
> convention used to refer to them. All other ASF projects have a single
> place to create PRs, and it is split between the 'apache' account mirror
> and the '$project' account mirror. I don't think we should be using the
> 'brooklyncentral' account for anything ASF related, as it is a Cloudsoft
> asset; that's why the 'brooklyn' account was created. It just keeps the
> licencing and ownership position clear.

1 repo is absolutely best...  it eliminates confusion.

> Finally, the rationale for renaming 'brooklyncentral/brooklyn' to
> 'brooklyncentral/legacy-brooklyn' is to make the switch to Apache clear,
> and force people to change, to stop people pushing and making pull requests
> against the wrong repo. This is what jclouds did.

It worked well for jclouds to help disambiguate during the cut over.

> My choice for the repo to raise pull requests against would be
> 'brooklyn/brooklyn' since we can use this account as a parent location for
> other sub projects that will be part of Apache Brooklyn. Unless there is a
> requirement from ASF to use the 'incubator-brooklyn' name?

See:

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Podling+Constraints

and

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html

> Chip, or anyone else with experience here, what is the usual best practice
> for podlings in our situation?

Some of the confusion around the usergrid process is an indication that
the ASF is still sorting out what really is the best practice to balance
between the ASF's battle tested processes and the value of GH-style
workflows.  That's an unfortunate reality, but there you go...

One option might be to immediately implement the process that the ASF
infra team can support (not usergrid or jclouds's processes), and then
evolve from there as the foundation figures this stuff out.  It depends
on the Brooklyn community's appetite for working through uncharted
territory.

If you want to follow the jclouds process, that's more likely to be
accepted, but it's really just that one project's approach... And as
David suggested, usergrid's approach is going to be debated for a bit.

The *known good* process that I'm talking about is generally:

1) All commits happen against the git repo hosted at the ASF
2) Pull requests happen against the ASF mirror of your repo
3) Magic unicorns make things sync up with the PR's and Jira records, as
well as ensuring that the appropriate project MLs get copies of all
activity.

Info here:
https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/improved_integration_between_apache_and