brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chipchild...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mirroring to GitHub
Date Fri, 30 May 2014 13:43:43 GMT
On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 10:38:48AM +0100, Richard Downer wrote:
> Alex,
>
> As I understand it, all non-trivial changes require consent.
> (One-liners and whitespace changes could be exempt.) Consent can take
> two forms:
>
> 1 - patches submitted through Jira. I understand that when attaching a
> file to a ticket, a checkbox is provided for the user to consent to
> the license. (We should raise some test issues through Jira to confirm
> that this is the case, and to document it for our contributors.)
>
> 2 - an ICLA. The list of ICLAs on record is on this page:
> https://people.apache.org/committer-index.html (despite its name, this
> page is not *just* committers. At the end there is a section for
> non-committers who have ICLAs on file).
>
> I am not an Apache expert (yet) but this is my general understanding,
> corrections welcome.
>
> Richard.

It's really not about Jira or not Jira...  it's about a clear intent to
donate the code to the ASF (and this is where the GH stuff becomes
problematic sometimes).  This is why we generally consider "ASF owned"
assets to be critical.  Jira, Reviewboard, dev@ mailing lists are all
valid places for someone to provide a patch.