bookkeeper-distributedlog-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Derrick <jonathan.derri...@gmail.com>
Subject question about DL namespace
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2016 06:33:01 GMT
Hello all,

I read the distributed log code closely. I found that the DL namespace is a
flat namespace. There will be a potential issue if there are a lot of
streams created under a same namespace. I am very curious what are the
thoughts behind that. Here are some questions:

- How many streams that a namespace can support? It seems to be bound with
the limitation on the number of children that a zookeeper znode can have.
What's the maximum number of logs do you guys have?
- Why not choose a tree representation? Then it might be easier to organize
streams. For example, if I want to use multiple dl streams as partitions, I
can just easily organize them together under same znode.
- Also if it is a tree-like namespace, it might be easier to implement a
filesystem over the streams. Each file can be backed by one dl stream. In
that way, I can also use DL as long term storage.

Any thoughts? Appreciate your comments.

--
- jderrick