bloodhound-user mailing list archives

From Oscar Edvardsson <os...@monivent.se>
Subject Re: Is it alive?
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2015 07:21:46 GMT
And we went with Redmine (multi product support was a requirement).
If you don’t need multi product support, I think Trac has the advantage that if/when Bloodhound
becomes under active development, it is easy to make the switch. We never experienced any
bugs with Bloodhound (v0.7 and v0.8) during the 6-12 months of using it, but we needed something
that was regularly maintained so any bugs would eventually be resolved.

That aside, I think we as users are sometimes more demanding than fair. It is an open source
project, and as far as I have understood it, all development (now) occurs on the developers'
free time and without compensation. The nature of open source allows anyone to fix bugs, to
their best of their abilities, which in turn allows you to patch issues that are important
to you, but not prioritised by the core development team. (But for us who do not have the
ability or time to do it - regular maintenance is a big thing)

Sorry for the short rant, keep up the good work!

Regards,

> On 11 Sep 2015, at 08:28, Joseph D. Wagner <joe@josephdwagner.info> wrote:
>
> I went with Request Tracker.  It has a different set of problems -- every ticket system
does -- but it seems more manageable and definitely has active support.

> https://www.bestpractical.com/rt/ <https://www.bestpractical.com/rt/>
>
> In fairness to the BH team, this is a symptom of a systemic problem with Apache projects
that aren't considered "hip."
> * James http://james.apache.org/ <http://james.apache.org/>.  Email server with
no active development since 2012.  It died right in the middle of beta-testing it's next major
release.
> * SpamAssassin http://spamassassin.apache.org/ <http://spamassassin.apache.org/>.
 No active development between 2011 and 2014, but might be picking up again.
> * Geronimo http://geronimo.apache.org/ <http://geronimo.apache.org/>. Java EE 6
application server with no development since 2013.  However, in Apache's defense, it could
be said that Oracle killed Java.

> Joseph D. Wagner
>
> On 09/10/2015 10:50 PM, Hoiniji Rosonye wrote:
>> I think going to Trac is a good decision.  With all due respect to the BH team, I
think it still has a long way to go.  I first gave BH a try, but it had too many bugs or configuration
limits.  I then decided to try Trac, and I found that it was very rock solid.

>> On Sep 10, 2015 9:42 PM, "Torben Lauritzen" <tol@bios.au.dk <mailto:tol@bios.au.dk>>
wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Thank you for your replies - I will go with the standard Trac for the moment then.
But I will be following Bloodhound.