bloodhound-user mailing list archives

From "Vijay Varadan" <vi...@axham.com>
Subject RE: Is it alive?
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2015 07:49:06 GMT
+1 to the point about users being demanding.

What are the chances of getting a company to sponsor a developer to work on this full-time?
I ask coz I think this project is totally worth doing and would be willing to stop what I’m
doing to work on this full time if I could be compensated reasonably. I suspect there might
be others that would be up for it as well.

-Vijay Varadan

From: Oscar Edvardsson [mailto:oscar@monivent.se]
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2015 12:52 PM
To: user@bloodhound.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is it alive?

And we went with Redmine (multi product support was a requirement).

If you don’t need multi product support, I think Trac has the advantage that if/when Bloodhound
becomes under active development, it is easy to make the switch. We never experienced any
bugs with Bloodhound (v0.7 and v0.8) during the 6-12 months of using it, but we needed something
that was regularly maintained so any bugs would eventually be resolved.

That aside, I think we as users are sometimes more demanding than fair. It is an open source
project, and as far as I have understood it, all development (now) occurs on the developers'
free time and without compensation. The nature of open source allows anyone to fix bugs, to
their best of their abilities, which in turn allows you to patch issues that are important
to you, but not prioritised by the core development team. (But for us who do not have the
ability or time to do it - regular maintenance is a big thing)

Sorry for the short rant, keep up the good work!

Regards,

On 11 Sep 2015, at 08:28, Joseph D. Wagner <joe@josephdwagner.info <mailto:joe@josephdwagner.info>
> wrote:

I went with Request Tracker.  It has a different set of problems -- every ticket system does
-- but it seems more manageable and definitely has active support.

https://www.bestpractical.com/rt/

In fairness to the BH team, this is a symptom of a systemic problem with Apache projects that
aren't considered "hip."
* James http://james.apache.org/.  Email server with no active development since 2012.  It
died right in the middle of beta-testing it's next major release.
* SpamAssassin http://spamassassin.apache.org/.  No active development between 2011 and 2014,
but might be picking up again.
* Geronimo http://geronimo.apache.org/. Java EE 6 application server with no development since
2013.  However, in Apache's defense, it could be said that Oracle killed Java.

Joseph D. Wagner