bloodhound-user mailing list archives

From Oscar Edvardsson <os...@monivent.se>
Subject Product / Version strategies
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2015 11:18:03 GMT
Hi all,

I am about to set up a new Bloodhound server. I have a structure issue though.
We aim at using the wiki and ticket system to manage three different parts of our system.
Each part may involve software/firmware, hardware and/or mechanics, and each of these have
different versions. It may look like below.
I am aware that Bloodhound is primarily intended for software development, but I think it
would fit our issue management neatly.

 System A
     +------ Part A
     |         +------ Software
     |         |          +-------- Version 1
     |         |          +-------- Version 2
     |         +------ Hardware
     |         |          +-------- Version 1
     |         +------ Mechanical
     |                    +-------- Version 2
     +------ Part B
               +------ Software
     .                     +------- Version 1
     .
     .

My initial, and most intuitive, way of structuring this was to have one product for each part.
Each part/product would then have the components Software, Hardware and Mechanics.
The issue arrived when I realised the version numbering for the components does not match.
I.e. Software Version 2 may run on Hardware Version 1. One workaround would have to list all
versions, but then Version 2 for Software does not correspond to Version 2 for Hardware. This
means that, e.g. version description is not really applicable, as a version is actually two
(or three) different versions. This also matches our directory structure most closely.

The next idea was to separate Software, Hardware and Mechanics into different products, but
I find this less intuitive and there will be an even greater issue with versions existing
in one of the parts, but not the others (i.e. Part A, Version 2 vs. Part B, Version 1.5).

Third idea was to separate the parts into different projects, but then the parts are not “grouped”,
so if we add a new system there is no way of telling which projects belong to which system.

Are there any good approach to fulfil the following:
 - Separate the three parts
 - Separate the three different disciplines (Software, Hardware, Mechanics)
 - Versions are tied to the discipline

Very off-topic: Maybe Order deny,allow Allow from all in the Bloodhound installation instructions
should be changed to Require all granted? I had to do that to get the setup to work, thought
I’d let you know anyway.

Thanks in advance,