bloodhound-user mailing list archives

From Ryan J Ollos <rjol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Quick runup: plugin installation?
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2015 17:25:33 GMT
On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 5:34 AM, Matt Brown <matthewbrown@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ryan!
>
> For future reference, the following procedure worked:
>
> 1) grabbed the source zip
> 2) decompressed
> 3) accessed the directory with the setup.py (that I wished to install)
> 4) ran the following:
>
> python setup.py bdist_egg
>
> 5) located the `.egg` file in the ./dist/ directory
> 6) copied the `.egg` into the plugins directory located
> ./installer/bloodhound/environments/main/plugins
> 7) stopped the server that's handling trac/bloodhound
> 8) the plugin is now listed in admin> General/plugins where I checked off
> the options I'd like to enable.
> 9) In my case (being the trac.ini Editor
> https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracIniAdminPanelPlugin ), there appeared a
> menu entry on the admin> General menu.
>

> Could I have also just used the Bloodhound web UI to install the .egg
> file?  What else would this have done other than copying the .egg file into
> the plugins directory?

You could upload the egg through the Plugin admin page, but it I don't
think that feature will help you much.

The easiest way to install a plugin is to use easy_install, or just run
"python setup.py install" from the plugin source directory. If you have
followed the written installation procedure for Bloodhound, then Bloodhound
will be installed in a virtualenv. The virtualenv isolates your
installation from Python's global site packages directory, which should
alleviate concerns about where the plugin gets installed. It will simply be
installed in the "lib/python2.7/site-packages" directory of your virtualenv.

http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracPlugins#Forallprojects

The TracPlugin page should be improved; it doesn't do a very good job of
describing the ways a plugin can be installed. The InstallingTrac page does
a better job of describing how to install eggs:
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracInstall#InstallingTrac