bloodhound-user mailing list archives

From Ryan J Ollos <rjol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: blood hound & mysql doesn't work with the install script
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2015 19:12:09 GMT
On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 10:46 AM, Branko Čibej <brane@wandisco.com> wrote:

>  On 09.02.2015 19:28, Ryan J Ollos wrote:
>
>  On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 11:21 PM, Branko Čibej <brane@wandisco.com> wrote:
>
>>   On 09.02.2015 07:27, Ryan J Ollos wrote:
>>
>>  On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 7:52 PM, Ted <r6squeegee@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> nope... I'm not a python developer so I don't know where it actually
>>> looks for these.
>>>
>>> (bhenv)[~/data/apps/bhenv]python
>>> Python 2.7.8 (default, Nov 10 2014, 08:19:18)
>>> [GCC 4.9.2 20141101 (Red Hat 4.9.2-1)] on linux2
>>> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>>> ImportError: No module named MySQLdb
>>> >>>

>>   It seems that MySQLdb is not being inherited from the global
>> site-packages directory. You could try "easy_install MySQLdb", using
>> easy_install from your virtualenv.
>>

>>  Virtualenv defaults to --no-site-packages, so that may well be the case.
>>
>> -- Brane
>>

>  I didn't realize the install instructions had been edited to remove the
> "--system-site-packages" option when creating the virtualenv.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/BloodhoundInstall?action=diff&version=31&old_version=30
>
>  In absence of additional modifications to the install steps, I believe
> the following is required:
> virtualenv --system-site-packages /opt/bloodhound/bhenv
>

> I'm sort of not thrilled by the idea that you'd create a virtual
> environment for bloodhound, but then expect certain packages to be
> inherited from the system installation. It makes marginal sense for Linux
> distros, where getting your MySQL bindings is a 'yum' or 'rpm' or 'apt-get'
> away, but what about other platforms?
>
> -- Brane

I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense. I tried to modify the steps at
some point to remove the need for the --system-site-packages option and ran
into issues. I don't recall what the issues were and I'm unable to find the
discussion. I'll need to run through the install steps in full to refresh
my memory.

- Ryan