bloodhound-user mailing list archives

From Patrick West <we...@rpi.edu>
Subject Re: blood hound & mysql doesn't work with the install script
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2015 19:15:53 GMT
Along these same lines, we’re using bloodhound here at RPI in one of the labs (Tetherless
World Constellation) and are creating a docker instance. So we’ll have bloodhound installed
in a docker container and be able to spin up a new one anytime we want. It’ll be part of
our Source Code Management virtual environment (not python virtual environment but xenserver
virtual machines.)

And one of the things we’ll want to do is use mysql (in a separate docker container).

-- Patrick West
---- Principal Software Engineer
---- Tetherless World Constellation
---- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
---- westp@rpi.edu

On Feb 9, 2015, at 12:12 PM, Ryan J Ollos <rjollos@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 10:46 AM, Branko Čibej <brane@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 09.02.2015 19:28, Ryan J Ollos wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 11:21 PM, Branko Čibej <brane@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> On 09.02.2015 07:27, Ryan J Ollos wrote:
>>> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 7:52 PM, Ted <r6squeegee@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> nope... I'm not a python developer so I don't know where it actually looks for
these.

>>> (bhenv)[~/data/apps/bhenv]python
>>> Python 2.7.8 (default, Nov 10 2014, 08:19:18)
>>> [GCC 4.9.2 20141101 (Red Hat 4.9.2-1)] on linux2
>>> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>>> ImportError: No module named MySQLdb
>>> >>>

>>>  It seems that MySQLdb is not being inherited from the global site-packages directory.
You could try "easy_install MySQLdb", using easy_install from your virtualenv.

>> Virtualenv defaults to --no-site-packages, so that may well be the case.
>>
>> -- Brane
>>
>> I didn't realize the install instructions had been edited to remove the "--system-site-packages"
option when creating the virtualenv.
>> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/BloodhoundInstall?action=diff&version=31&old_version=30
>>
>> In absence of additional modifications to the install steps, I believe the following
is required:
>> virtualenv --system-site-packages /opt/bloodhound/bhenv
>
> I'm sort of not thrilled by the idea that you'd create a virtual environment for bloodhound,
but then expect certain packages to be inherited from the system installation. It makes marginal
sense for Linux distros, where getting your MySQL bindings is a 'yum' or 'rpm' or 'apt-get'
away, but what about other platforms?

> -- Brane
>
> I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense. I tried to modify the steps at some point
to remove the need for the --system-site-packages option and ran into issues. I don't recall
what the issues were and I'm unable to find the discussion. I'll need to run through the install
steps in full to refresh my memory.