bloodhound-user mailing list archives

From Arthur Kahlich <...@millcomputing.com>
Subject Re: Broken demo link
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2014 20:04:18 GMT
We need a multi-product (or multi-project to use a different term) issue
tracker. We have around a dozen internal projects (products?) with
owners. Some of these are dependent on specific sets of other internal
projects' output.

My personal criteria and that of some others as well:
1. We want an open source issue tracker. Those of us who have been
around a while have had bad experiences with some commercial issue
trackers - especially if we are "small" or "unimportant" customers who
at one time or other asked for more support than the company was willing
to give. With open source we can fix ourselves if we have to and
contribute back.
2. Internally we made a policy decision (11 years ago) to limit our
language usage (as much as possible) to C++ for production code and
Python for scripting. Bloodhound being in Python is a plus.
3. We would like to use open source packages that have a reasonably
active and responsive team of contributors. Trac currently appears to
fit this profile, Bloodhound appears to be on the sparse side.
4. The issue tracker should integrate with Git such that submitting
and/or merging repository changes with the appropriate comments should
also get the issue status changed to resolved.

There are other reviewers (the hostile ones) with the opinion that it
would be less trouble to buy a commercial package. The favorite for
these folks is "YouTrack" by JetBrains. Certainly this could be a good
issue tracker. I doubt we would find out what was wrong with it before
the sale - commercial software houses (if they are going to be
successful) will have great demos and more extensive documentation.

Art

--
Arthur Kahlich
CTO - Hardware