bloodhound-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Ollos <ryan.ol...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Unable to acquire db connection from Trac?
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2013 06:31:28 GMT
On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM, ldr ldr <stackoverflowuser95@gmail.com>wrote:

> No, the @ symbol is from the `username:password@host` syntax; however
> I have an `@` in that password causing the problem.
>
> You could cryptographically hash the password, e.g.: in MD5 or SHA3
>
> In the meantime, I will change my password to one not containing an `@`.
>
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Michael Jinks <michael.jinks@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM, ldr ldr <stackoverflowuser95@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> But we shouldn't have passwords containing `@` symbols.
> >
> > My guess (I'm new to Trac/Bloodhound): It's because the config file is
> > interpreted by Python, and Python sees '@' symbols as significant
> > characters. There might be a way to escape the character, or try
> > enclosing the string in single or double quotes, but when I've run
> > into issues like this with similar applications, I ended up just
> > changing my password to something more easily handled by the
> > interpreter. If you're worried about password guessing, consider using
> > longer strings. Each character you add makes the intruder's job a lot
> > harder.
> >
> >> On that note;
> >> why is my password in plain-text?
> >
> > How else would you store it? Or, suppose you could encode the password
> > somehow; what advantage would that give?

Michael is correct, there is a way to escape the @ character, it must be
URL encoded. This has recently been updated in the Trac documentation, and
we will get the updated documentation when we upgrade our copy of Trac
following release 1.0.2:

http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracEnvironment?sfp_email=&sfph_mail=&action=diff&version=48&old_version=47&sfp_email=&sfph_mail=
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracEnvironment#DatabaseConnectionStrings

We are working to improve the error message that is presented when this
issue is encountered, and that should also be improved in Trac 1.0.2, which
will be in Bloodhound 0.9 or 0.10 most likely.
http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/11189