bloodhound-user mailing list archives

From Michael Jinks <michael.ji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unable to acquire db connection from Trac?
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2013 04:17:22 GMT
On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM, ldr ldr <stackoverflowuser95@gmail.com> wrote:

> But we shouldn't have passwords containing `@` symbols.

My guess (I'm new to Trac/Bloodhound): It's because the config file is
interpreted by Python, and Python sees '@' symbols as significant
characters. There might be a way to escape the character, or try
enclosing the string in single or double quotes, but when I've run
into issues like this with similar applications, I ended up just
changing my password to something more easily handled by the
interpreter. If you're worried about password guessing, consider using
longer strings. Each character you add makes the intruder's job a lot
harder.

> On that note;
> why is my password in plain-text?

How else would you store it? Or, suppose you could encode the password
somehow; what advantage would that give?