bloodhound-user mailing list archives

From Matevž Bradač <mat...@digiverse.si>
Subject Re: The meaning of ticket relations
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2013 10:58:00 GMT

On 4. Aug, 2013, at 22:33, Olemis Lang wrote:

> With my user hat on this time ...
>
>  - Edit ticket t1 .
>  - Manage relationships
>  - Set
>    * Related ticket = t2
>    * Relation type = parent
>    * Comment = <whatever>
>
> Q :
>
>  - What's the parent ticket and what's the child ?

We should fix the semantics for relations before 1.0, it's really
confusing in the current form. In your case (IIRC) parent would be
t1 and child t2.

Perhaps having a JIRA-like approach for managing relations would be better:
  "This ticket <verb> <target ticket>"
where <verb> is one of
  * duplicates
  * is duplicated by
  * is a parent of
  * is a child of
  * refers to
IMO the above looks much less ambiguous.

>  - What are the meanings if relation type is set to
>    * duplicate of
>    * depends on ?

As per above, these would mean:
  "This ticket is a duplicate of <target>"
and
  "This ticket depends on <target>"

Each relation is basically two records in the DB. One record is created
from the information provided by the user (source, relation type, target),
the other is a reverse relation (target, reverse type, source).
For example, creating a "duplicate of" relation would result in the following
DB records:
  t1 duplicateof t2
  t2 duplicatedby t1

HTH,