bloodhound-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Olemis Lang <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.2 (incubating)
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2012 03:10:48 GMT
On 11/10/12, Branko ─îibej <> wrote:
> On 10.11.2012 14:39, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:
>> Apologies for the delay, the conference wifi was taken down before I
>> could
>> send the e-mail.
>> Unfortunately, when I ran a license header check, the report came back
>> with some minified css & js files in the source release.  As far as I am
>> aware, minified files are not considered source and therefore should not
>> be in the distribution.
> Regarding the minified files you found: I agree that minification
> should, in future, be part of the installation process.

Maybe that belongs in installer script [1]_ ? Should we have a ticket for that ?

> However, once
> can hardly claim that minified files are "not source". They are souce,
> not even compressed. IMO the point of having source releases is
> auditability. Minification makes it harder, but doesn't take it away
> (as, for example, compilation does).

I've detected one such minified file in Bloodhound code .


We have to remove it . We don't even use it .


OTOH , this one should not be included in source tarball . Even if
it's already in the repos it's not a deliverable .

However I suppose some others are found under /trac folder ... isn't
it ? Well , if that is the case they should be js files consisting in
external dependencies to the Trac project and , if that is the case
then that's not a major issue since we can include jQuery et al .
source files for next release . Nonetheless , I think I need to ask

  - In RAT reports, can we just ignore everything under trac/ folder ?

> I propose this is not a release blocker.

fwiw I think the same . Besides there should be a way to check that
minified js files are valid ( MD5 checksums ? ... )

> We should however recommend
> that the project stops shipping minified sources in some (near) future
> release.

next release , yes ... In any case there are some tickets requiring us
to move forward with jQuery 1.8 , jQuery UI 1.9 , Bootstrap 2.1.1 (at
least) ...

.. [1] Bloodhound installer script



Blog ES:
Blog EN:

Featured article:

View raw message