bigtop-user mailing list archives

From jay vyas <jayunit100.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Cloud native images for ASF projects.
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2017 14:22:54 GMT
Hi Bigtop !

As you all know, I used to work on bigtop and ever since have been spending
alot of time working on kubernetes and cloud native application engineering.

One thing I'm noticing is that the quality of docker images for ASF
projects varies, and* it seems like a distributed systems / cloud native
viewpoint isn't expressed in the Dockerfiles for some projects.*

- Some docker files expect ROOT or a specific UID as an option.
- Some docker files chmod/chown things unnecessarily, meaning they can't
run in all clusters.
- and so on ...

I feel like bigtop is a good place to mitigate some of these problems for
the ASF community.

*Is anyone in BigTop interested in BigTop curated dockerfiles for "real"
Zookeeper, SOLR, etc deployments ?  *

If so, we can curate our own official Docker images that honor the
distributed systems 'rules of thumb' , in the same way that we build
RPM/DEB packages for this purpose.

Our engineering teams would be happy to help in  effort to curate such
images as well as set up CI for them...

In particular, *I think bigtop-official images for SOLR and Zookeeper are a
good starting point, *as those are very common in containerized
environments.  After that I think Spark, HBase, Hadoop and so on might be
interesting.

Interested in thoughts around this and wether or not its valuable to the
community?

--
jay vyas