bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Olaf Flebbe ...@oflebbe.de>
Subject Re: new bigtop website
Date Wed, 18 May 2016 06:19:48 GMT
Hi,

Ok, let me say it straight:

Hortonworks is not mentioned there and cloudera is only claimed for CDH4 based on bigtop.
As far as I stumbled over the artifact naming of current CDH5, they at least heavily modified
the build process since.

Both are using a package called bigtop-utils for instance, but does that "qualify" them to
be mentioned as downstream users?

Olaf

> Am 17.05.2016 um 20:23 schrieb Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org>:
>
> If I am not mistaken, the new version of the page is based of
>    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/Powered+By+Bigtop
>
> which was populated by the 'powered-by' projects themselves. So, yes - we know
> for sure. Besides, a simple look into vendors' package dependencies shows the
> foot-print of Bigtop all over the place.
>
> But I am fine with your proposed wording, although we are providing more than
> just build. Runtime as well ie bigtop-utils, etc.
>
>  Cos
>
> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 07:17PM, Olaf Flebbe wrote:
>> Hi Cos,
>>
>> Of course anyone need permission to use trademark logos.
>>
>> The point is not logos itself. What is the message we want to share ?
>>
>> Bigtop should not claim that any entity is a downstream user of bigtop. We
>> do not know for sure.  The downstream user itself should agree to be named
>> here. I can live with the section "powered by" in the current website.  That
>> page has a very differentiated view.  Maybe we can reuse this page optically
>> pimped.
>>
>> I am very ok if Nate ask entities, if they approve to be named .
>>
>> Maybe the Mission statement can be made clear:
>>
>> To provide a generic build system for a vanilla distribution of Apache
>> Hadoop ecosystem projects, integrating other components early.
>>
>> Olaf
>>
>>> Am 17.05.2016 um 18:58 schrieb Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org>:
>>>
>>> Take it with as many graines of salt you want, but I don't think using logos
>>> from someone's publicly available media kit for the purpose of referring to
>>> the owner of it, requires any special permissions. But I'm not a lawyer.
>>>
>>> Cos

The