bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Kyle B <kbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Bigtop Multiple Versions
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2016 06:07:12 GMT
Hello,

I’m new to Bigtop, just starting to incorporate it into where I work, and
had a general question. Is there a recommended way for managing multiple
versions of the same package in Bigtop? As an example, I’d like to use
Bigtop to manage multiple builds of Spark (1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6).

I tried updating the BOM to have multiple Spark definitions, and ran into
some issues doing that. As each version could potentially require custom
patches, I don’t want to have just one spark and update the version number
during the build.

I’ve thought about creating different branches for each version of Spark,
and applying the appropriate patches in each branch, but I’m wondering if
there’s a better way?

This isn’t specific to Spark. We’re currently in the process of upgrading
our Hadoop cluster from 2.2 to 2.7, and wanted to have two different
versions of Hadoop I could toggle back and forth between.

So I guess my question is, is there an easy way for managing different
versions of the same package in Bigtop without going down the git branches
road? Any advice you can offer for best ways to do this is much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Kyle