bigtop-user mailing list archives

From David Starina <david.star...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: User guide?
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2016 08:10:14 GMT
Hi guys,

me again. I haven't set up Puppet before, can you just point me in the
right direction? I know this is not a Puppet mailing list, but I bet you
have some tips for me :-)

So what do I need to do? Install Puppet on every node? What does it mean
that the mode of Puppet is "*masterless"* - do I just have to do a basic
installation of Puppet and not care much about setting it up, and then
deploy bigtop on every node separately? And when setting the Hadoop head
node - does that mean that I need to deploy Bigtop on this node first, and
Bigtop will know this is the master node by the url or IP I provide to it?
And then deploy Bigtop via Puppet on all the other nodes and they will
connect to the head node (which is the NameNode, I suppose?).

I can do this via trial and error, but if you guys can help me reduce the
"error" part, that will be great :) Sorry for such beginner questions, I
haven't used Puppet before ... The reason I'm asking is, I got access to a
"physical" (actually virtual, but it's the same) environment for a limited
amount of time (two weeks), and I need to start testing on it asap - and
since my day job takes a lot of my time, if I wanted to do this without
help it could take me two weeks just to set up the environment - but I need
to install it, which is not the central part of my project, and then run
some ML algorithms on a text corpus, which will be the main part of the
project ...

--David