bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: User guide?
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2016 15:36:55 GMT
On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 1:10 AM, David Starina <david.starina@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> me again. I haven't set up Puppet before, can you just point me in the right direction?
> I know this is not a Puppet mailing list, but I bet you have some tips for me :-)
>
> So what do I need to do? Install Puppet on every node?

Yes.

See here: https://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/4.3/reference/architecture.html#the-stand-alone-architecture

> - do I just have to do a basic installation of Puppet and not care much about
> setting it up, and then deploy bigtop on every node separately?

Correct. You do not have to setup puppet much to be able to do puppet apply

> And when setting the Hadoop head node - does that mean that I need to deploy
> Bigtop on this node first, and Bigtop will know this is the master node by the url
> or IP I provide to it?

It will know because of the information supplied in hieradata/site.yaml among
other things. You really need to read up on Hiera to get the full picture:
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/hiera/3.0/

Thanks,
Roman.