bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Carsten Maul <carsten_m...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Dependency cycle issue during puppet deployment
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2015 10:01:19 GMT
Hi,

I did some extensive testing the last days. I can conclude that there is an issue with the
stock puppet installation (puppet 3.7.2-4) of Debian 8 when using Bigtop puppet deployment.
I was able to resolve the problem by using puppet from Debian testing (puppet 3.8.4-1).

To use puppet from Debian testing on Debian 8:

1)create file /etc/apt/preferences.d/testing with the following contents:
Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 700
Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 650
Package: *

2) do an apt-get update

3) install puppet with:
apt-get install -t testing puppet puppet-module-puppetlabs-stdlib puppet-module-puppetlabs-apt

4) Start puppet in bigtop directory the following way
puppet apply -d --modulepath=bigtop-deploy/puppet/modules:/usr/share/puppet/modules bigtop-deploy/puppet/manifests/site.pp

Maybe someone runs into the same issue and this helps,

kind regards

Carsten

> Am 09.12.2015 um 07:54 schrieb Carsten Maul <carsten_maul@gmx.de>:
>
> Hi Cos,
>
> I am running debian 8 (jessie) stock puppet 3.7.2.
>
> After your post I tested a deploy with Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS Server. I am getting even more
puppet errors. For example, under my ubuntu test system it can not find the is_bool function.
> Under Ubuntu I installed:
> sudo apt-get install puppet puppet-module-puppetlabs-stdlib puppet-module-puppetlabs-apt
> The installed puppet version under Ubuntu is 3.4.3.
>
> I am starting puppet from /opt/bigtop directory like this:
> puppet apply -d --modulepath=bigtop-deploy/puppet/modules:/usr/share/puppet/modules bigtop-deploy/puppet/manifests/site.pp
>
> The Error under Ubuntu:
> Error: Unknown function is_bool at /opt/bigtop/bigtop-deploy/puppet/manifests/site.pp:75
on node ubuntu140403lts.localdomain

> I really don´t understand all the puppet problems. is_bool is part of the stdlib, so
why is it unknown?

> sudo puppet module list
> /etc/puppet/modules (no modules installed)
> /usr/share/puppet/modules
> ├── puppetlabs-apt (v1.4.0)
> └── puppetlabs-stdlib (v4.1.0)
>
> Any suggestions? Puppet seems to be like Chucky the puppet to me in the moment...
>
> Kind regards
>
> Carsten
>
>> Am 08.12.2015 um 19:23 schrieb Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org <mailto:cos@apache.org>>:
>>
>> What Puppet are you on? The reason I am asking is because I personally do the
>> deployment on Ubuntu all the time (not with Vagrant, but just by running
>> puppet apply) and it works like a charm.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>  Cos
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 04:43PM, Carsten Maul wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> if I do a bigtop deployment via puppet I get an dependency cycle for apt_update:
>>>
>>> Error: Could not apply complete catalog: Found 1 dependency cycle:
>>> (Anchor[apt::source::Bigtop] => Apt::Source[Bigtop] => Exec[apt_update]
=> Class[Apt::Update] => Anchor[apt::source::Bigtop])

>>> The origin of the dependency deployment is the file bigtop-deploy/puppet/manifests/site.pp,
line 57, which belongs to a code block that is responsible to add the bigtop repository to
apt:

>>> Apt::Source<||> -> Exec['apt_update'] -> Package<||>
>>>
>>> If I remove this line, the dependency cycle error is gone. Unfortunately, I have
to add the bigtop repository and update apt by myself in this case.