bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Olaf Flebbe ...@oflebbe.de>
Subject Re: Bundling Snappy with Hadoop
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2015 18:56:02 GMT
Hi Evans,

Just discovered that snappy-devel is missing from bigtop_toolchain. Will open a JIRA for it.

Olaf

> Am 09.06.2015 um 05:13 schrieb Evans Ye <evansye@apache.org>:
>
> Yup, you need snappy-devel to be installed. Our new distribution targeting bigtop 1.0
is building hadoop with snappy, so the snappy compression should work at your side as well.
:)

> Nvm, answered my own question. Apparently I want snappy-devel rather than snappy.
>
> ~ Jonathan Kelly
>
> From: <Kelly>, Jonathan Kelly <jonathak@amazon.com>
> Date: Monday, June 8, 2015 at 3:31 PM
> To: "user@bigtop.apache.org" <user@bigtop.apache.org>
> Subject: Bundling Snappy with Hadoop
>
> Is anybody bundling Hadoop with Snappy support on Bigtop? I noticed that https://github.com/apache/bigtop/blob/master/bigtop-packages/src/common/hadoop/do-component-build
checks for the presence of /usr/lib/libsnappy.so or /usr/lib64/libsnappy.so and sets $BUNDLE_SNAPPY
accordingly, so it seems that I should just need to install the snappy package, and Hadoop
will automatically be built with Snappy support. However, when I install the snappy package
("sudo yum install -y snappy" on AmazonLinux 2015.03), the library file that gets installed
is /usr/lib64/libsnappy.so, not /usr/lib64/libsnappy.so.1, so installing the snappy package
has no effect on the Hadoop build.